[Dixielandjazz] Louis' scats

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Nov 22 10:54:48 PST 2004

> Ed Danielson wrote:

> I once transcribed Louis' scat singing on the Hot Five date "Hotter
> than That" for a college linguistics class.  As I recall, I was trying
> to demonstrate something about vocal non-verbal communication for
> reasons that elude me now.  All those "beeps" and "bops"  and "deets"
> and "mwahf-mwahf-mwahfs" on the blackboard earned me quizzical looks
> from my classmates, but I did get an "A" -- even though the prof
> wasn't Jax Lucas!
>
> Ed Danielson

Great story, Ed. Yeah, the linguistic/musical connections in jazz are
abundant, fun, and not easily laid out in plain English. I do a dog &
pony show about this with live musicians, trying to put generative
grammar, ethnomusicology, the psychology of improvisation, and other
stuff into an understandable package. Not as tedious as it sounds, when
the players swing out with musical examples.

Beyond this, I think Louis’ scat on “Hotter Than That” is a masterpiece
of just about everything. At one point, his syncopated scat syllables
start on every third 8th note, superimposed over a full 8-bar sequence
in 4/4 time—man, what a great creative tension in the rhythm! And of
course the scat melody he’s improvising is within the chord structure
of the tune, and it’s rich in inflections too. To me, Louis is like
Bach, Mozart, Shakespeare, Jesus, Buddha, and a handful of others whose
genius is ultimately unexplainable. They drew on things that came
before them, but they made quantum leaps that aren’t traceable in the
usual terms of development.

Charlie Suhor