[Dixielandjazz] Louis' scats

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:44:24 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/20/04 4:09:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bhaesler at bigpond.net.au writes:

>And how does one transcribe Louis' scats?????

I once transcribed Louis' scat singing on the Hot Five date "Hotter than
That" for a college linguistics class.  As I recall, I was trying to
demonstrate something about vocal non-verbal communication for reasons that
elude me now.  All those "beeps" and "bops"  and "deets" and
"mwahf-mwahf-mwahfs" on the blackboard earned me quizzical looks from my
classmates, but I did get an "A" -- even though the prof wasn't Jax Lucas!

Ed Danielson