[Dixielandjazz] Artistic Integrity

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 22:52:34 PST 2004

We live in a world of diminishing integrity.  Capitalism has spun out of
control and is turning us into a lowest common denominator society. The artistic
community is caught in the tide with not enough of us swimming upstream.
 Society no longer recognizes true value. We can change that.

Decreasing appreciation for the arts (and fewer schools teaching art and
music) is grossly affecting our well being as a society. We Artists potentially
have an equal voice to Corporate America, and therefore a huge opportunity and
responsibility to the public at large. If Corporate America recognizes social
responsibility and we embrace the opportunity to educate by breaking new
artistic ground, Society will once again recognize true value and everyone can live
in a Culture of Integrity.

We have the gift to create, inspire, and shape the world through our work.
Corporate America (I include the government) relies on rhetoric. No one should
tell the public how to think, but Artists provide colorful canvases or musical
vibrations that inspire free minded people to think for themselves and
rediscover what truly drives happiness.

The dilemma lies in Maintaining Artistic Integrity while Running Your Career
as a Business. As impossible as it seems, it is more attainable than ever
before. Many big businesses are imploding, creating a vortex in which we can rise
and prosper while having a positive effect on society. That's where integrity
comes in - if we remain honest with the audience and true to ourselves, we are
doing society a great service. We can educate and inspire the public to reach
new cultural heights.

Cheers,

Tom