[Dixielandjazz] 'Shine' the slang meaning

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Nov 2 17:01:41 PST 2004

 From
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2838/is_n2_v29/ai_17534807/
pg_2
    Parody and double consciousness in the language of early Black
musical theatre
    African American Review,  Summer, 1995  by David Krasner

  The lyrics of "Shine" draw our attention to the double consciousness
of racial identity, and parody racism through inverting the position of
the signifier. The signifier (Walker) inverts the signified (racial
identification; i.e., names), subverting racist signification. "Shine,"
Richard Newman writes, "is almost a song of social protest in its
antiracism" (479):

When I was born they christened me plain Samuel Johnson Brown, I hadn't
grown so very big 'fore some folks in the town Had changed it 'round to
Sambo, I was Rastus to a few Then Choc'late drop was added by some
others that I knew

So when these clever people call me shine, or coon, or smoke, I simply
smile, then smile some more, and vote them all a joke, I'm thinking
just the same, what is there in a name.