[Dixielandjazz] 'Shine' the slang meaning

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Nov 2 16:51:22 PST 2004

Don, and all,

I was on a remote computer when I sent my last message - I was going to
go a bit further on the "actual lyric" question but I did not have
access to all of the messages and I had to get to a meeting.

> When someone shouted, "Fellas, hey! Come on and pipe the shine!"
> But I don't care a bit. Here's how I figure it:

does not seem like the protagonist is scared that someone is going to
beat him with a pipe - the rest of the song seems to me as  more about
accepting conditions of being called "Sambo,"  "Rastus," or "Chocolate
Drop" - that was the nature of the times, a bit like "Mick," "Wop," or
"Yid" but not like an extreme life threatening situation.

Do we know who Dabney/Mack/Brown were? In some ways it seems like an
early "Black Pride" song! Call me names but I will still be here!

anyway, I am sure that doctoral papers in Afro-American Studies have
been written about this song - we just can't find them.

Dave Richoux