[Dixielandjazz] Re: Shine & That's Why They Call Me Shine

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Nov 2 09:21:52 PST 2004

My guess is that "pipe the shine" in this context is more like " Get
that ( listen to or look at or 'dig' that) shine" after finding this on
http://www.miskatonic.org/slang.html : "Pipe that: Get that, listen to
that"

I also put "pipe the shine" into the online etymology dictionary and
got no direct hits. http://www.etymonline.com

> shine (n.)
> 1529, "brightness," from shine (v.). Meaning "polish given to a pair
> of boots" is from 1871. Derogatory meaning "black person" is from
> 1908. Phrase to take a shine to "fancy" is Amer.Eng. slang from 1839.
> Shiner for "black eye" first recorded 1904.
>
> pipe
> O.E. pipe "musical wind instrument," also "tube to convey water," from
> V.L. *pipa "a pipe" (cf. It. pipa, Fr. pipe, Ger. Pfeife, Dan. pibe,
> Du. pijp), a back-formation from L. pipare "to chirp or peep," of
> imitative origin. All tubular senses ultimately derive from "small
> reed, whistle." Meaning "device for smoking" first recorded 1594. The
> verb sense of "to play on a pipe" is from O.E. pipian; the meaning
> "convey through pipes" is first recorded 1889. A pipe dream (1896) is
> the sort of improbably fantasy one has while smoking opium. Piping hot
> is in Chaucer, a reference to hissing of food in a frying pan; to pipe
> up (c.1425) originally meant "to begin to play" (on a musical
> instrument). Pipe down "be quiet" first recorded 1900.

> peep (1)
> "glance" (esp. through a small opening), 1460, perhaps alteration of
> M.E. piken (see peek). The noun was first in sense found in peep of
> day (1530); meaning "a furtive glance" is first recorded 1730.
> Peep-hole is from 1681; peep-show is from 1851 (not typically
> salacious until c.1914). Slang peeper "eye" is from c.1700. Peeping
> Tom "a curious prying fellow" is from 1796; connection with Lady
> Godiva story dates only from 1837.

and i also searched a few slang dictionaries - an incredible
compilation of racist slang at
http://www.angelfire.com/geek/APRACE/glossary.html
> Shine/Shiner  Blacks
> In reference to the shine their skin can sometimes give off. Also a
> 1920's main occupation, shoe shiners.

and http://nfo.net/usa/slang.html (a swing era to modern jazz slang
dictionary) had nothing at all. (This could be a very useful website
for OKOM!)

I also searched the Usenet group who's "List Curmudgion" is my sister
Donna - alt.usage.english - a long thread on
"Shine:"   http://tinyurl.com/3ursz  but not much specific to the
question...

BTW,  if you are registered to vote in the USA - GO VOTE!

Dave Richoux