[Dixielandjazz] Nob Hill Gang

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Nov 1 22:51:30 PST 2004

On Nov 1, 2004, at 9:08 PM, Robert S. Ringwald wrote:

> snip
> After they left the Fairmont, Turk Murphy had the band there for a
> while until his death.  Then the leader of the Royal Society Jazz Band
> (can't remember his name) had a 6 piece band there for a while.  I
> subbed with them one weekend.

that would be Don Neely's Royal Society 6 - they released a very nice
CD, and the Royal Society Jazz Orchestra have had a great series of
recordings and performances in the style of the early Paul Whiteman,
Ellington, Henderson and other pre-swing era large bands.  much more at
http://www.rsjo.com/

I was a sub on tuba with them a few times and it was great fun!

Dave Richoux