[Dixielandjazz] Nob Hill Gang

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Nov 1 21:08:05 PST 2004

Bill,

This band was led by Jimmy Diamond, the pianist.  They were the house band
in the New Orleans Room at the Fairmont Hotel for many years.  The Fairmont
is a very famous old hotel on Nob Hill in SF.  I knew them all well.

Most are gone now.

After they left the Fairmont, Turk Murphy had the band there for a while
until his death.  Then the leader of the Royal Society Jazz Band (can't
remember his name) had a 6 piece band there for a while.  I subbed with them
one weekend.

No more Jazz at the Fairmont now.

One night Woody Herman came into the New Orleans Room at the Fairmont.  A
customer bought that LP that you have, & took it over to ask Woody to
autograph it.  He did, but he signed it "Count Basie".

Lots of big names appeared at the Fairmont in the show room upstairs.  They
used to hang out in the New Orleans Room & sometimes sit in.  In fact,
Hendricks from LHR is on that album on one cut.

--Bob Ringwald
Placerville, CA USA

ed ----- Original Message -----