[Dixielandjazz] Re: Fletcher Henderson on Timeless CD

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 30 10:54:24 PDT 2004

Dear Hans,
Regarding your prompt reply and the extract from the notes to that Timeless
CBC-103 Fletcher Henderson-Louis CD: that "jazz lovers have found it
difficult to thoroughly enjoy most of the recordings he made with Fletcher
Henderson's Orch. " ... " because of the "stiff, unswinging arrangements
full of irrelevant diversions".
I am appalled at this approach by the producer, whoever he may have been at
the time. How dare he presume what jazz lovers think! Perhaps it was simply
a reflection of his own narrow prejudice.
I, for one, love those Henderson's with Louis and still give them an airing
on a regular basis.
Knowing John RT Davies as I have, I can imagine his agony carrying out that
commission, however well he did it.
CDs like that are exactly what I was complaining about.
As Butch Thompson put it in his reply to this thread: "I want to hear what
Fats and Henderson actually played, not what some turkey thinks they SHOULD
have played."
I couldn't agree more!
However, having said all that, I must also say that I have all but four of
the magnificent and comprehensive Timeless jazz reissue series (80+ so far)
and rate them most highly. The only reason I am missing four is because I
had the material on other CDs.
Very kind regards,
Bill.