[Dixielandjazz] RE: Fletcher Henderson on Timeless CD (was Waller's piped pianorolls)

Hans Koert koerthchkz at zeelandnet.nl
Sat May 29 14:04:25 PDT 2004

Sorry Bill that I mixed you up with Mike.

What's wrong with the Timeless CBC-103 Fletcher Henderson?

The track list contains 24 items (and 54 minutes playing time) ( =
I could show you a track list with the playing time, but I will type down
some of the information of the liner notes. "All of these selections are
edited versions (except 9 tracks); all reduced (except one) In some cases
parts may have been used from more than one take. Where two takes are
specified a longer performance has been constructed using parts of both." In
the liner notes they give as reason, that "jazz lovers have found it
difficult to thoroughly enjoy most of the recordings he made with Fletcher
Henderson's Orch. " ... " because of the "stiff, unswinging arrangements
full of irrelevant diversions".

John R.T. Davies: Remembrances http://members.lycos.nl/keepswinging/news.htm

Keep swinging

Hans Koert