[Dixielandjazz] a record?

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Sun May 23 14:38:28 PDT 2004

The Canal Street Jazz Band of Madrid can probably make a claim for a record
on audience size for Our Kind of Band:  we were heard & seen by ONE BILLION
people yesterday.  The newspapers are quoting that number for the worldwide
tv audience.

The interview of the band last nite lasted 15 minutes on the Spanish
National tv station.  Each one of us had a few words to say, and we played
two songs, Madrid (a Spanish "chotis" called Madrid, played in Dixie, and
Chicago).  Then, our music was used, in the background during a two hour
roundup of the day's news.

A newspaper article this morning on the band said that we converted La Gran
Via (the "Great Way", which is the street we played on, into "Broadway"
yesterday with our music.  Nice, that!

Jim