[Dixielandjazz] Happy 100th Bithday Fats

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Fri May 21 17:37:00 PDT 2004

John Petters - have a good session for the great man, with Martin Litton on
piano, you are well on the way already to a successful show!   "Fats" is a
perfect example to illustrate the dictum that Jazz is supposed to be
entertaining and should swing!   With so much musical masturbation and
self-conscious codswallop going the rounds these days, under the title of
"jazz" - what a joy it is to get back to "Fats" and see the feet tapping and
the smiling audiences again.

We did a concert last night  "100 Years of Fats" and we have another on
Monday and a third on Saturday May 29th.   Our concert musical director,
pianist Jordan Klapman and guitarist Tony Quarrington wrote an original
number in "Fats" style and we played it in last night's concert - it is
called "One Never Knows Do One?"   Seems a perfect title for a Fats tribute!
Wonder if it will reach the hit parade?  (laugh, laugh!)
Cheers,
Brian Towers.

Hot Five Jazzmakers
Toronto.