[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet/Saxophone doubling

Mark Bauer jazz-trombone at earthlink.net
Tue May 18 23:35:42 PDT 2004

Paul, you diagnosed the problem correctly. He doesn't want to, or can't get
motivated to practice the clarinet. He is a good soprano player and he only
plays clarinet when he absolutely has to(tunes like West End Blues and
Clarinet Marmalade)though he does struggle with technique on clarinet, he
would be pretty good with practice. How do you motivate an unmotivated reed
player? UUUGH! I look at it like this: As a trombone player, whenever I have
to play orchestral music I have to play a larger bore trombone. Why? Because
the larger broad sound is what Orchestra listeners and directors expect.
That's what fits the style. My small bore king wouldn't cut the mustard in
orchestral music. To bright and not enough weight to the tone. Anyway, to
me, it's the same with clarinet in trad jazz. There are just many times that
it is needed.