[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet/Saxophone doubling

Williams, Bob robert.c.williams at eds.com
Tue May 18 15:41:23 PDT 2004

I love a well-played soprano saxophone but have heard precious few.
Perhaps the relative ease of playing it attracts less-qualified musicians,
and that's why it nearly always sounds like crap.  I know that's pretty true
of trombone players.

And drummers and singers. Ahem.

Mostly with the fish-horn it's the intonation.  Or lack thereof.  Perhaps if
that ever resolved itself, the question of timbre proximities - a valid one,
certainly - could be the next reason to dissemble the thing and throw it
into the bay.  But for me, the intonation is reason enough.

Definition of a minor second?  Two soprano saxes playing in unison.

- Bob Williams
Still the World's Most Modest Man, with More Reasons then Ever!
Playing with Polly's Hot Paupers and Igor's Jazz Cowboys at the Sac Jubilee
Buy me a Drink!!