[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet/Saxophone doubling

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon May 17 22:59:08 PDT 2004

The sax vs. clarinet thing is a big deal for a lot of bands (probably
goes back to the early rift between Sidney Bechet and everybody else)
but for "And That's Jazz" it seems like our reed man Al Flood plays
clarinet and fish-horn about equal time with a bit of tenor sax if the
song seems to call for it and that works for us. I think that Bob
Murphy of the Natural Gas plays soprano sax exclusively but there are
few that would complain that  band is not "Trad!"

My personal take on this is to let the flavor of the song guide the
instrumentation (if you have the option) - what does your band WANT the
song to sound like and is it a clarinet song or a sax song?  If
everybody else in the band suggests that a particular horn be used then
I would hope that the reed player would take the hint!

Dave Richoux