[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet/Saxophone doubling

Mark Bauer jazz-trombone at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 20:02:36 PDT 2004

In my dixieland band that I play in, The reed player does play some
clarinet(almost none really) but mostly he plays soprano sax. Soprano sax in
a dixieland band completely changes the timbre in my opinion. He does play
clarinet on the tunes he has to, but my question is this: How much saxophone
is too much for a traditional dixieland jazz group? In other words should he
be at least playing clarinet on 2/3rds of the tunes or should the soprano be
broken out just once and awhile? Any help and advice you guys could give
would be helpful.

MB