[Dixielandjazz] Bringing the music to where the people are!

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon May 17 22:41:47 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Stealing a page from the Steve Barbone Textbook, I will direct your
attention to a recent review of a band performance in the Pittsburgh
area - while the River City Brass Band is not 100% OKOM (maybe because
they have too many players and they don't really do "Jazz")  -they
still provide some high quality music in the American Brass Band
tradition!

Anyway, I will just provide the link as to not violate any copyright...
  but I do suggest that you read all the way down to the last part of
the review.
<http://www.reporterinteractive.org/news/051204/brass.htm>

But in case you are a bit lazy, here is a snip of the meat:
> The River City Brass Band plays a season-ticket-supported concert
> series in no less than eight venues around the city, Mr. Colwell said.
> After concerts in other cities are added, the band finds itself
> playing a total of 120-130 concerts a year, so that ticket sales pay
> for 65 percent of its $2.1 million dollar budget.
>
> Mr. Colwell says he can't figure out why more arts organizations don't
> emulate one thing his band does — play lots of concerts in different
> parts of their home city.
>
> In Pittsburgh, "there are people who simply will not go downtown.
> Whether they don't want to cross a bridge, or they don't want to dress
> up, whatever it is, they won't go downtown." As a result, the band
> performs a sellout concert series in area high school auditoriums, he
> said.

Dave Richoux

BTW, here is the website of the River City Brass band:
http://www.rcbb.com/