[Dixielandjazz] Far Greater Impact Than You Can Imagine

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Mon May 17 20:37:42 PDT 2004

Here is a sample response I got from my post of yesterday:

"Bill, you're pissing up a rope if you think this scheme has any remote
chance of accomplishing anything.  There's not a chance in hell that any
substantial number of people would forgo buying gas on any one day; the few who would do
so would be martyrs, no less.

It's really tacky for you to use the DJML for such a rediculous purpose; a
complete waste of our time and bandwidth."

To all:

I, as well as everyone on this list, including Bob Ringwald, have accepted
off topic posts here for each and every year I've been a subscriber, which is
several. At one time I thought about making a collection just to make a point.

Some of those topics have included:
Booze
Types of booze
How much booze
The cost of booze
Playing under the influence of booze
Beer
Women
Prostitutes
Bordellos
Bombings in Israel
etc., etc., etc.

Included in this list were a ton of bad jokes and cute responses that had
nothing whatsoever to do with jazz or the performance thereof.

I just posted one post that, if all y'all really used your God-given
intelligence, you'd soon understand that the topic of my post has a far greater impact
to your ability to continue to perform jazz than any other singe topic and
that INCLUDES the aging of jazz audiences.

If you think that jazz festivals and venues have been experiencing problems
with attendance figures, wait until your audience chooses not to travel to
attend your next festival or performance, because they're on a fixed income and
can't afford the transportation cost, whether it be by car, train, air or RV.

How many of you have all your gigs within 10 miles, and your entire audience
comes from the same?

Wait until you guys have to start doubling your performance fees to travel to
that gig . . . only to be told that your client can no longer afford to hire
you.

And forget about all those cute answers about using bicycles, hybrids and
selling SUVs. Horsepucky. That only works if you play trumpet, a real piano,
clarinet, washboard or banjo.
Drummers, Bassists, tuba players and bandleaders don't ever even think in
that direction. And without them, most of you don't have a band to play with.

Now, regarding the May 19th porposal, ok, so the numbers don't neccessarily
work . . . but all you intellects out there completely missed the point. It's
more about letting the oil companies know that we are at a breaking point.
Until we send a MESSAGE that we've had it, they'll just keep raising it on us.

Evil prevails when good men (and women) do nothing.

Everybody's willing to complain . . . few are willing to stand up for what
they believe in.

Musical content - "In My Merry Oldsmobile"

Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargentBands.com