[Dixielandjazz] For you across the pond, a query.

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Mon May 10 12:22:24 PDT 2004

Hi Bill:
I had "googled" the information on Bryan Ferry but was more interested in
others personal observations regarding Ferry.  The site you cited
f'rinstance has the following:

"Back in the mid-'70s, Ferry told a British magazine that, even though he
fronted the arty glam-rock band Roxy Music, he still felt that he was a
blues singer at heart. Given the wide range of music he has tackled since,
does he still feel that way? "Well, yeah," he replies. "The blues was the
first kind of music I heard. Leadbelly, in fact, was the first person I
remember hearing when I was 10 years old, who really made me interested in
music." Beguiled by the yearning and longing expressed in Leadbelly's voice,
Ferry soon became enchanted by the blues and, later, jazz.

"It's interesting how all of the different strands of American music - or,
at least, most of them - can be traced back to a guy in the South with a
guitar in a field," muses Ferry. "It's amazing how many great pieces of
music have developed from that very simple stuff." Three years ago, Ferry
mentioned in an interview that he would like to record an entire album of
early American folk songs. Inspired by an anthology of American folk music
assembled by Harry Smith, Ferry chose some of those songs to perform at a
live show in London.

Of course, Ferry also acknowledges "another branch of American music; the
Broadway stuff, the Cole Porter stuff, all of these songs that I did on the
'30s album. That's the other side of American music, which is more kind of
Tin Pin Alley and comes from that European tradition."

As Time Goes By certainly confirmed the notion that the singer would have
been at home in another era, but he has also modernized many classic numbers
from that time and shown that his slick, literate sensibilities can play
well today. His music has a sense of romanticism missing from millennial pop
music."

The above from Bryan Reesman

Best,

Bill