[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ed Reed & Glenn Blair

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Sun May 9 17:50:24 PDT 2004

In a message dated 5/9/2004 2:24:44 PM Central Standard Time,
WILLIAMHORTON at peoplepc.com writes:
Lost track of Ed after he left the Chicago 6, but I think I've seen some
mentions of him playing in the midWest.  Chicago, I think.
Ed Reed lives in Vista California.

Ed was one of my closest friends in my later teen years and one of the
biggest influences in my life, musically.

Ed was the guy that gave me the burn for firey swingin' big bands, most
noteably Benny Goodman. He tuned me in to the animalistic attitude of Krupa and the
"boys" in the band.

Ed is one of my two favorite clarinetists of all time . . . him and Hedges.
Ed play with fantastic tone and swung like mad. He played with great emotion
and feeling. He may have been playing in the '70's, but his mind and soul never
left 1938.

Also, I noticed that recently, Glenn Blair was mentioned as passing. He and
Ed both were "roadmates" of mine on Clyde McCoy's band in the '70s. Only I
would have that Glenn long gone. His drinking problem was out of control and he
had ulcer problems that landed him in the hospital way back then.

Glenn would make the most certain proclaimations about life on any given
topic . . . or should I say ...all topics.

Ed extolled the virtues of owning gold . . . and Glenn gave me his car. Love
both of these guys dearly.

Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargent.com