[Dixielandjazz] Re: Cleaning 78s

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 9 11:19:07 PDT 2004

Dear Bud,
I could not agree more about using alcohol/solvents on ANY record.
A big no-no.
Your comment regarding WD40 is interesting as a 'first hand' account.
I have been warned on numerous occasions not to use it as it leaves a
sticky/greasy residue which (attracts dirt/dust) and is harmful to the
record surface.
So I have never tried it.
Do you also use it on 45s/LPs?
Have you checked any of the records treated with WD40 months/years later to
determine if there has been any long-term problems?
Re WD40.
A little old lady friend of my wife Jess once told her that she often
sprayed WD40 on her stiff arthritic knee - and it worked wonders!
One night Jess (in error) used WD40 instead of insecticide spray on a
cockroach.
The cockroach survived but definitely moved faster!!
Very kind regards,
Bill.