[Dixielandjazz] Guitarist Barney Kessel died at 80

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat May 8 14:55:18 PDT 2004

I snuck in with several of my high school buddies in the late 40's to Billy
Berg's on Vine Street in Hollywood to hear Barney Kessel play. Heard part of
a set until the waitress got to our table for a drink order and carded us.
Under age and no food being served meant hit the road jack, but what we did
hear if short on full set was some fine guitar work. While Barney was often
lumped in with the  Boppers of that time, I have heard him play in small
groups where his rhythm backing and some of his full chord fills rather than
single string were not all that distant from some of  Van Epps' ensemble
work. A fully rounded and versitile player, he has been sort of forgotten in
recent years. But I have enough of his recorded work in my stacks to refresh
my memories of this fine player.
Don Ingle