[Dixielandjazz] Boll weeval JB

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat May 8 13:47:32 PDT 2004

Speaking of Big Ten trad bands, did anyone hear the U. of Illinois Memphis
Five in the late 60s? I was a grad student there and loved the band. Very
original. They had a Joe Rushton-like bass sax and a banjo in the rhythm
section, fine Dixie cornetist and the inventive Ron DeWar on soprano sax.
DeWar was and is known as an ace modern jazz tenor saxist, then with the
brilliant U of I big band (Cecil and DeDe Bridgewater, Chuck Braugham, and
others). He got a traditional sound on the soprano and found a way to
bridge the old style with thoughtfully speedy lines. The band did their
homework, finding some old & seldom played tunes from the N.O. repertoire.
I'd like to have a recording of the group, if anyone knows how to get it.

Charlie Suhor