[Dixielandjazz] Boll weeval JB

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri May 7 18:34:40 PDT 2004

Frank Powers was also a Boll Weeval, as was Remington the oustanding tuba
guy. I see Mike Montgomery every few years and he is still playing. A later
edition of the band had Doc Shanahan on either trumpet or tuba as the need
called for. Shanahan is on this list (infrequently), and works sometimes
with Heitger's Cakewalkin' Jass Band inToledo, and could supply more input
of the later editions.
Something about the Big Ten schools -- most had good trad jazz bands. I led
one at Michigan State, the Salty dogs came out of Purdue, Harry's bunch at
Ohio State, and at Penn State, a more recent addtion to the Big Ten (now the
Big 11 but hanging with the old name) has a good one in the Galvenated Jazz
Band on their campus. U. of Minnestoa had Doc Evans, a faculty member there,
as well.
Something in all that fresh water in the Great Lakes I reckon!
Don Ingle