[Dixielandjazz] The Words vs. The Music

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Fri May 7 16:31:06 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I've always held the opinion that it is the talent of the performer (either
instrumentalist or vocalist) which ends up being the most important criteria
in the words/music debate.  I've heard performers that have turned mediocre
(or simply poorly-written) songs and made them into something worth
listening to.  In a stellar vocal performance I think the audience looks
beyond the words and enjoys the performance as a whole.  Conversely (and
this is, sadly, much more common), I've heard beautifully written pieces
completely massacred.  Didn't somebody post here once about Wild Bill
sitting in with a band and commenting that the piece they were playing had
beautiful chords.  When the leader nodded in agreement Wild Bill added, "too
bad you missed every damn one of them."

I'll Be Seeing You is one of my all-time favorites for a good vocal piece (I
heard it done by an acappella vocal quartet once that, quite literally, sent
a shivver down my spine).  A few weeks back, however, I was in a restaurant
and heard someone sing it so poorly that I was squirming in my chair.  If it
was an open mike or a karaoke bar I would've understood, but this person was
part of the house band and (assumingly) getting paid!

On the other side, I love Duke, but never cared for Satin Doll.  It's a
catchy tune and people love it, but I never thought it was a very good
piece.  Not long ago, I heard a recording on the radio that blew me away.
The arrangement sounded fresh and the improv and singing was excellent.  For
me, that one performance gave that tune a new meaning and now I even enjoy
playing it.

All for now,
Rob McCallum