[Dixielandjazz] River Boat Five

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Thu May 6 07:48:37 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Haesler" <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] River Boat Five

> Dear friends,
> I suppose this is really one for our Chicago friends.
> (Where are you Charlie Hooks and Jim Beebe when we need you?)
> Or perhaps me mate Don Ingle is back from his backwoods (backwards?)
huntin'
> 'n' 'fishin' trip, and can help.
> The River Boat Five (actually a septet) made several LPs in the late 50s
in
> Chicago before the leader clarinettist Ed Reed moved to Los Angeles in
about
> 1960.
> The several discographies I have suggest that the personnel for the
Chicago
> recordings for Mercury were:
> Ed Reed (cl, ts), Ted Butterman (t), Wray (or) Gene Thomas (tb), Keller
> Merck (p), Milt Fitch (bj), Ed Tedder (tu), Jim Lunsford (d).
> However an original LP owned by a friend of mine (I do not have any of the
> records) indicates on the cover that the lineup is: Ed Reed (cl, ts), Ted
> Butterman (tu/sb), Gene Thomas (t),  Keller Merck (d), Milt Fitch (bj),
> Louis Tedder (p), Jim Lunsford (tb).
> Can anyone who knows/knew these musicians please confirm the correct
> instrumentation ?
> Also.
> A 1960 Mercury LP by the River Boat 5 recorded in LA which includes leader
> Ed Reed, cl/ts; Eddie Miller, ts; Nappy Lamare, g; Ray Bauduc, d; also has
> great tuba player, according to my mate who also has this LP. Could this
> unnamed musician be Phil Stevens?
> Later LPs made in LA by the band include Phil Stevens, Bob Havens, Stan
> Wrightsman, Nick Fatool and Dick Cathcart - the cream of the 60s LA studio
> musicians.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

I was glad to see this post -- and its replies as I have an old tape of this
group and often wondered who some of the players are. However, I KNOW that
the trombone player is Cougar Nelson and the tuba player is Rich Matteson.
(Cougar plays a couple of terrific cadenzas on "I Found a New Baby".) That
must mean (according to Dan Augustine's response) that I have a copy of the
"The River Boat Five on a Swinging Date" album. I do not know the titles of
a few of the tunes. Could someone (Dan?) post the titles of the tunes on
that album? That would be great.

PS - Mike Marois, are you listening? We once had a discussion about this
very group. Question answered! The trumpet player is "Ted Butterman".
Success!