[Dixielandjazz] River Boat Five

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 6 14:50:49 PDT 2004

Dear friends,
I suppose this is really one for our Chicago friends.
(Where are you Charlie Hooks and Jim Beebe when we need you?)
Or perhaps me mate Don Ingle is back from his backwoods (backwards?) huntin'
'n' 'fishin' trip, and can help.
The River Boat Five (actually a septet) made several LPs in the late 50s in
Chicago before the leader clarinettist Ed Reed moved to Los Angeles in about
1960.
The several discographies I have suggest that the personnel for the Chicago
recordings for Mercury were:
Ed Reed (cl, ts), Ted Butterman (t), Wray (or) Gene Thomas (tb), Keller
Merck (p), Milt Fitch (bj), Ed Tedder (tu), Jim Lunsford (d).
However an original LP owned by a friend of mine (I do not have any of the
records) indicates on the cover that the lineup is: Ed Reed (cl, ts), Ted
Butterman (tu/sb), Gene Thomas (t),  Keller Merck (d), Milt Fitch (bj),
Louis Tedder (p), Jim Lunsford (tb).
Can anyone who knows/knew these musicians please confirm the correct
instrumentation ?
Also.
A 1960 Mercury LP by the River Boat 5 recorded in LA which includes leader
Ed Reed, cl/ts; Eddie Miller, ts; Nappy Lamare, g; Ray Bauduc, d; also has a
great tuba player, according to my mate who also has this LP. Could this
unnamed musician be Phil Stevens?
Later LPs made in LA by the band include Phil Stevens, Bob Havens, Stan
Wrightsman, Nick Fatool and Dick Cathcart - the cream of the 60s LA studio
musicians.
Kind regards,
Bill.