[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Forgotten Jazz/Classical Pianist

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue May 4 10:38:48 PDT 2004

At 08:27 PM 5/4/2004 +1000, Bill Haesler wrote:
>I wonder how many on the DJML bothered to read your post enclosing the April
>30, 2004 NY TIMES article CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK by JEREMY EICHLER. 'Music
>Silenced by the Nazis Finds Its Voice'.

Speaking of the Nazis, there's a Proper Box of 4 CDs of Nazi-era jazz and
swing.
CD. 1 is misc. big band music, CD 2 is propaganda swing--terrific big band
playing mostly familiar American songs with nasty lyrics about Winston
Churchill, etc.

CDs 3 & 4 are well worth the cost of the set, which is available from Jerry
Brown's Jazz'n'Blues. They present some wonderful jazz from occupied
Europe, notably Scandinavia, plus some Django, etc. As usual with Proper
Boxes, there's a thick booklet.

--Sheik