[Dixielandjazz] Re: The Forgotten Jazz/Classical Pianist

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue May 4 09:46:21 PDT 2004

Thank you Bill. I posted it because of the OKOM references in hopes that some
like you would be curious enough to read it.

If few read it, more's the pity. Schulhoff was an accomplished "ragtime"
pianist in addition to being a classical composer. He was, as the lead in said,
INTEGRATING JAZZ & CLASSICAL MUSIC back in the 1920s. Most people haven't the
foggiest idea who he was because this wonderful Czech musician died in a Nazi
Concentration Camp in 1942.

That, with his tie to Marty's father was a stunning revelation to me, and
perhaps should be to others like you and I who want to really learn about
music, jazz or, otherwise. Too often, we here in America tend to ignore jazz
musical developments in other parts of the world. Ignorance, as so often
stated, is bliss.

I am glad you read it and noted the historical significance.

Cheers,
Steve