[Dixielandjazz] Listening to different kinds of music

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Mar 26 08:25:11 PST 2004

Let me re-quote parts of my message of yesterday:
> I am not saying that everything about Rap and Hip-Hop is just fine and
> dandy - there are a lot of negative folks out there and it can get
> ugly!

(BTW, the thread  was actually discussing the turn-table "Scratchers"
who usually don't ever say a word during a Rap performance...)

> But I often read what people in "Polite Society" thought about early
> Jass and Blues records - the profanity, sexual innuendo, drug
> references and the "low class" artists and musicians - the NERVE!

I have read (in a history of British Brass Bands) of announcements from
the pulpit and in the newspapers in the 1840s about how listening to
Brass Band music on a Sunday afternoon would lead to dancing, and then
directly to Sin and Moral Degradation!

The sensibilities of the middle class and upper class  population in
the USA in the early 1900s were shocked by even the "coded" language in
Jazz and Blues - no need to use the harsher words!

(however, have any of you all seen the new HBO program "Deadwood?" The
use of expletives in that 1870s Wild West setting has been researched
by the writer/producer David Milch , there was a lengthy discussion on
NPR Fresh Air yesterday:
<http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=03/25/2004>
)

anyway, I think that the lyrical content of early Jazz is as important
as the musical content. I know some "Jazz Societies" have a preference
for groups that do not do a lot of vocals but "And That's Jazz" has
three good singers and we use them!

Dave Richoux