[Dixielandjazz] Listening to different kinds of music

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Thu Mar 25 15:13:09 PST 2004

I have seen and heard many outstanding turn-tablists and I am very much
sure that they are musicians. Of the highest order! They are producing
their own compositions of sounds and rhythms that only use small
sections of the original material. Their "scratch" dexterity and "ear"
can be as good as any fiddler, washboardist, accordion player or horn
player. They can solo or work in combination with other musicians with
interesting results. Two of my favorites are "Mixmaster Mike" and
Christian Marklay (he is more of a conceptual artist using phonograph
records as a starting point, but the results are equally interesting.)

This is a big difference from what are known as "DJs" - they have more
just an ability to put together longer cuts from various recordings in
interesting ways to encourage dancing (or whatever...)

I am not saying that everything about Rap and Hip-Hop is just fine and
dandy - there are a lot of negative folks out there and it can get
ugly!

But I often read what people in "Polite Society" thought about early
Jass and Blues records - the profanity, sexual innuendo, drug
references and the "low class" artists and musicians - the NERVE!

Dave Richoux