[Dixielandjazz] Unsung Jazz Heroes

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 24 09:30:12 PST 2004

This post from another "List"
Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Jazz has its unsung heroes, too.  Perhaps "heroes" may be overly
strong, but I have a special affinity for players such as Wallace
Davenport, who died last week in New Orleans at age 78.  More than a
journeyman, never a star, Davenport was a tasteful, reliable and
accomplished jazzman for decades, compiling a sizable discography,
most often as a sideman with first-rate traditional and Swing
musicians.  He didn't play fast, he didn't play loud, he seldom
reached for the high notes (but could make them - and sustain them -
when the moment called for it).  His technique with mutes was among
the best. Especially notable, for me, are Davenport's mainstream session
with
Buddy Tate, Vic Dickenson and Cozy Cole, and a 1975 recording
titled "Earl Hines in New Orleans," which also included Orange
Kellin.  He contributed memorable, swinging jazz whenever he
played.  Hopefully, he will be remembered."