[Dixielandjazz] (DixielandJazz) Great Clarinet Players

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Wed Mar 24 00:19:44 PST 2004

Benny,

'How high", "how fast" and "how clever" are not the key ingredients for
judging clarinet greatness, in my book anyway.  "Tone" "Soul"  "Feeling" &
"Originality" would come ahead of those items in my contest and Johnny Dodds
stands supreme - just ahead of Omer Simeon, Sidney Bechet (yes, he played
strong clarinet too); Jimmy Noone, Barney Bigard  and all the other historic
trail blazers in "twenties" classic jazz.
Brian Towers
Hot Five Jazzmakers
Toronto.