[Dixielandjazz] Black Derby Jazz Band

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 22 12:41:33 PST 2004

Folks--
     John Bradshaw in San Antonio has done a lot of work inviting us
to play and organizing a new band, so i thought i would let anyone in
DJML in the San Antonio or Texas area know about it.  I haven't been
to any jazz camps, but he and Meg Graf were nice enough to invite me
to play with them.  Should be fun. Hope this kind of thing spreads
the word around here about OKOM and LIVE jazz.

     Dan
A program of early jazz, 1900-1930, ragtime to swing by
            The Black Derby Jazz Band*
at:  Community Unitarian Universalist Church
      4818 Beverly Mae E.
      San Antonio, Texas
          (Off Babcock Rd near Med Center)
      One o'clock Sunday, April 25th, 2004
To be followed by a jam session with kindred spirits of all ages
welcome, and the collection of interest in joining The Black Derby
Jazz Club.
*A nine piece band with tuba, banjo, two trumpets, two reeds,
trombone, piano & drums.
Donations accepted for facility maintenance.
To Whom it May Concern:                 March/April 2004

You are cordially invited to an organizational meeting of the Black
Derby Jazz Club, to be held in conjunction with a concert by the
Black Derby Jazz Band, at One o'clock Sunday 25, April, 2004 at
Community Unitarian Universalist Church, 4818 Beveriy Mae E., San
Antonio, Texas.

It is proposed that the Black Derby Jazz Band and Club of South Texas
would be dedicated to the performance and preservation of Jazz Music
from 1900 to 1930 i.e. Ragtime to Swing. It would be primarily
intended for musicians of all ages and ability who wish to have the
pleasure of recreating jazz styles of that period, by reading
arrangements or lead sheets or faking and playing by ear.
Non-musicians with an interest in this music are also welcome.
Initial proposal is for meetings once a month, locations to be
determined. Sometimes special performances but always jam sessions
with opportunities for members to perform.

The Black Derby Jazz Band, performing on 25 April, is an ad hoc group
of nine semi-professional musicians, assembled from amongst friends
and kindred spirits I have met at Adult Jazz Camps on both Coasts of
the country. They have come to San Antonio simply for the pleasure of
playing this sort of music together, and have graciously agreed to
assist me in the attempt to establish a club to preserve and promote
one of the most enjoyable forms of music performance ever developed.

Please advise any acquaintances, students, or relatives, who may have
an interest in creating/recreating this type of music to attend and
consider joining.

Sincerely yours:
John B. Bradshaw
Phone 341-8506
--
**  Dan Augustine    Austin, Texas   ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu     **
**       "Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through          **