[Dixielandjazz] Seniors.

Sam Meerkin/Evelyne Perks smeerkin at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 22 01:07:05 PST 2004

We've just had Seniors' Week here in Melbourne, when public transport is free, movies are free and lots of discounts are available to anyone with a seniors card.  Old folks plan & plot all year to get out & about during this one week and really get value for their respected status.  The Victorian Jazz Club puts on a series of concerts of OKOM for $5 admission each, which includes a 'cuppa' & cookies, and they're sold out weeks ahead.  Friday's two concerts featured a great line-up of Tony Newstead, cornet Nick Polites, clarinet, Wes Brown, drums, 'Honk' Atkins, tenor sax, Peter Grey, s. bass, Harry Price, trombone & voc., and David Campbell, piano.  Three octogenarians, three septuagenarians and one youngster in his 60s and they blew everyone socks off.  What a great day!!!  As one of the MCs, I really enjoyed the rapt attention that normal jazz crowds don't always give.  There should be more daytime gigs for folks who can't go out at night.