[Dixielandjazz] Wild Bill at the Mill

Dixieland dixieland at wi.rr.com
Sun Mar 21 00:27:16 PST 2004

To All WBD fans,

I had the ultimate pleasure to meet and hear WBD play in Milwaukee at the
Red Mill in the late 80's with Don Nedobeck's North Water Street Tavern Band
(OKOM). JUST so happened, my Dad and I brought in a Sony reel to reel with a
pair of decent mics and recorded the WHOLE night! Bill although showing his
age, could still play that horn in his inimitable style....you can't miss
it. Also, his wit and camaraderie with the band and the audience was
priceless. He told a few jokes and would STOP the band on occasion to "set
them straight!"  It was hilarious. He came off gruff, but you could tell he
was a pussy cat inside. It's rare to meet a legend, much less record one for
your personal collection.

I know he passed away VERY shortly after we saw him. I can't say for sure,
but my recording may be the LAST one of him, if not close to. In any event,
it has historical significance to be sure.

Best Regards,

Greg Kalkhoff