[Dixielandjazz] Gig, anyone?

Elazar Brandt jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Mar 21 02:42:00 PST 2004

Shalom jazz fans,

Who says there is no work for OKOM players?! I just got a call from a nice
sounding Arab lady asking if I know of any non-Jewish jazz musicians to play on
Friday evenings at a restaurant in East Jerusalem. She says she cannot guarantee
the safety of Israeli musicians who come to her neighborhood. I would almost try
it anyway. Hey, I've got a banjo, and I know how to use it! Go ahead Mohamed,
make my day! But I don't work on Sabbath. Last year I played a few Saturday
evenings at another restaurant in East Jerusalem.

I never considered banjo or tuba playing as hazardous duty before. Better make
sure those red and white vests are bullet-proof, and the derbies are lined with
steel. The pay for these gigs is typically about $30 a night per player, and
they don't always give food and drinks.

Just so you appreciate what kind of fun we're having over here. If anybody's
interested, let me know. Jazz for Peace!

Elazar
Misrad HaJazz
Doctor Jazz Band
Jerusalem, Israel