[Dixielandjazz] Re: Thread: Is it helpful to listen music other thank OKOM? PlusEvan Christopher

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 20 16:04:41 PST 2004

Norman Vickers wrote: (polite snip) about Evan Christopher

> At last year's March of Jazz, one of the most exciting sets was one in which
> he was paired with 80 year old Buddy DeFranco, still looking great and
> playing marvelously well.  Buddy opened and closed with two Charlie Parker
> tunes, played at just under the speed of light.  Not only did Even keep up,
> he even pushed Buddy to greater accomplishment.  I've never heard Buddy play
> better!  There's another similar set scheduled this year.  Unfortunately, my
> travel schedule does not permit me to stay for that one. :>(
> Norman Vickers

List mates & Norm:

Early last year Buddy was talking about his upcoming visit to NYC and the JVC
Jazz Festival. He was going to play there along side a guy he loved to listen
to. One of his "favorites". Guess who?

Kenny Davern.

Evan, Kenny, Buddy, and Tony Scott in one place together?  Now that would be
something.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone