[Dixielandjazz] Roll the Patrol

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Sat Mar 20 14:52:13 PST 2004

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded to my request for info
about "Roll The Patrol". I nearly always get a good response from this
helpful and knowledgeable group. This time I got a lot of responses! Most
thought credit as composer of this tune should go to Bob Leary, the Black
Dogs banjo player. In fact, one responder said he even asked Leary for
permission to perform the tune -- and was granted it! But, thanks to Dick
Baker, I've learned the tune goes back at least as far as 1949 when it was
recorded by Two Ton Baker.

So, I'm still curious. Anyone else have any idea of the origins of this
tune? Thanks again.

Dave
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
"It's a treat to beat your feet"