[Dixielandjazz] Paul Anka

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Tue Mar 16 14:40:48 PST 2004

I went to the site & waited.  Nothing.  I went out of the room & forgot.

A little later, I heard voices coming from my office.  Couldn't figure it
out.  Went in & the sound track was playing.

I have dial up.

John, go to it again & have patience.

Anka sure was mad.  I felt that he went on a bit long but he probably had
good justification.  He pays his guys well, hires professionals & expects
them to conduct themselves as such.

He demands perfection & pays for it & when he doesn't get it, he gets pissed
& I can't blame him.

Have you ever noticed how, you can hire a band a year in advance & they will
still start 5 minutes late?

Or, have you known musicians who want to play.  Then, when you hire them,
they wanna start late, end early & can't wait for the breaks?  When they do
take a break, you can't find them to go back to work.

I remember many years ago in the early beginnings of the Sacramento
Traditional Jazz Society & Sacramento Jazz Jubilee, in the Board of
Directors meeting, or maybe it was the Music Committee meeting, there was a
discussion as to whether musicians were "temperamental artists" or,
"Egotistical bastards."

Musicians are sure a strange lot &, I are one...

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA, USA, Earth, Sol's System, Milky Way
Amateur (ham) Radio Station K6YBV
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See: http://www.ringwald.com
Boondockers Jazz & Comedy Band