[Dixielandjazz] Making Runs

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 16 20:25:29 PST 2004

Dear Dan,
Phil O'Rourke and Glen Page have advised me that "Making Runs" was a Buddy
Bolden tune and whistled to Bill Russell by Bunk.
Phil also advised that the Melbourne (Australia) band The Louisiana Shakers
(run by me mate Ashley Keating) recorded it.
Glen thinks Doc Evans also recorded it.
Aha! All I needed was a reminder.
8>)
OK then. The Bunk whistling version was on American Music 10" LP 643 and I
have it on LP (Dan 4020). It was recorded in New Orleans on 13 June 1942 and
is described in 'Bill Russell's American Music' on page 1. (Jazzology Press
1993). It was untitled, but referred to a "make up" tune. Just "making runs"
as Bunk says.
Bunk recorded it again 4 times on 7 May 1943 in San Francisco as part of a
Bolden medley of "Pallet On The Floor". This is also on the AM and Dan LPs.
The Louisiana Shakers CD is titled 'Making Runs' and their version of the
tune opens the CD and is 6 min 33 sec long. I have this too, but forgot.
(Sorry Ashley!)
I can't find a Doc Evans' version using this title.
Very kind regards,
Bill.