[Dixielandjazz] Fixit for the current virus problem

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 15:46:28 PST 2004

Hi Folks:

I got this message this moring from my virus protection service:

You can use them to get a free online scan of your computer and fix eliminate
any viruses it finds in your files if you have any, if you don't it will give
yo a clean bill of health, and it costs you nothing but the time to do it.
Not a bad investment at all.  you can also go back and do it as many times as
you feel necessary.   I use it at least once every two weeks, and have not had
a problem in three years.

Tom Wiggins

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Dear Trend Micro customer:

As of March 15, 2004 3:55 AM PST TrendLabs has declared a Yellow Alert to
control the spread of PE_BAGLE.P.

This virus searches for files with certain extension names, from which it
gathers target recipients. Using its own SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
engine, it sends out email messages with a spoofed return address to the gathered
email addresses and adds itself as an attachment.

This virus also spreads by dropping files in folders that have the text
string "shar", for example, C:\Program Files\Kazaa\My Shared Folder. It attempts to
prevent the automatic execution of NETSKY variants by deleting certain
registry entries.

It has backdoor capabilities. It opens TCP port 2556 and waits for incoming
commands from a remote user, who must send specially–crafted data or packets to
be able to command this virus.

It also has the ability to terminate certain process, which are usually
related to antivirus and firewall applications.

It runs on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP.

TrendLabs will be releasing the following EPS deliverables:

TMCM Outbreak Prevention Policy 94
Official Pattern Release 819
Damage Cleanup Template 290

For more information on PE_BAGLE.P, you can visit our Web site at:
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=PE_BAGLE.P
Please inform us if there are any infection reports in your region.