[Dixielandjazz] THE CURRENT "SPANISH TINGE" - AFRO LATIN JAZZ

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Sat Mar 13 09:35:50 PST 2004

In a message dated 13/3/04 14:20:03, barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

<< Lincoln Center is, arguably, the number one
influence in Jazz today. >>

Maybe in America but to most of the jazz fans I know in this country
'Lincoln' either denotes a city in Loncolnshire with a very nice cathedral at the top
of a hill and a nice 'centre' of shops at the bottom of the hill or some
American President who had a trip to the theatre ruined by some guy with the same
surname as the fellow who started the Salvation Army.

Jazz today is far too diverse a music for any one thing to have undue
influence and after all the musicians at this concert were only following the
influence of Jelly Roll Morton and others back in the old days. Even Kid Thomas
Valentine and others in the New Orleans Revival used strong Latin-American
influences.

Can I suggest that a listen to the traditional beguine music of the
Caribbean, especially Martinique, particularly the clarinet playing might suggest where
the likes of Emile Barnes, Israel Gorman, Steve Angrum and other so-called
'primitive' New Orleans clarinet players came from musically!

The afro-latin influence has been around in jazz for a very long time.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich
U.K.