[Dixielandjazz] Band Websites

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 11 23:44:25 PST 2004

> <WILLIAMHORTON at peoplepc.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> No argument that websites CAN generate some interest.  My argument (point,
> rather) was that, compared to equal effort and money spent on other
> advertising, they don't give much bang for the buck.

Well, some band website certainly provides bang for the buck. Mine is a simple website that did not cost me
anything to produce. I have not materially changed it in 3 years, except for the "Schedule" which I update on a
regular basis. The website comes "Free" with my $20 per month earthlink fee to be on the net, but lets say that
half of the earthlink cost is for web site hosting. That's $10 a month, or $120 per year.

Many customers and fans use it. Neither to see cute graphics, (there are none) nor to see great changes  every
few months. They visit it repeatedly to see our schedule, and or band personnel changes if any. That's what a
band website is for, isn't it? Not to educate the masses, or impress the graphic artists. It should, IMO briefly
say Who, What, When, Where, Performance Critique. All geared to sell the band to a purchaser. No more, no less
and it should download right now.

In a nutshell the site should say "This is what we offer, (in a way that differentiates you from your
competitors) contact us for more information".

In 2003 our web site generated somewhere around 16 gigs, probably more, that we would not have otherwise played.
They were mostly 100% Jazz Gigs, even the weddings. All were within 100 miles of my house except one which was
at the Congressional Country Club in Bethesda MD.

If I gave those gigs away for $100 per man, per gig. That's still $1600, back to me for a $120 investment. But,
let our minds run to what the wedding, for a highly placed political figure, 150 miles away really brought in.
Or figure what DuPont Corporation's 200th Anniversary Party, a five hour gig for 22,000 people brought in. Yep,
via the website from an event planner 1000 miles away. That gig was 25 miles from my home. Or the rest of those
16 jobs, like one from a couple in Seattle who were getting married in Philadelphia because she is the heiress
to a Main Line Fortune here and her parents live here. She found us via the web site, by searching for "Delaware
Valley Jazz Bands", or "Philadelphia Jazz Bands".  Get the picture? These are not cheap gigs.

That $120 investment generated 5 figure profits. Return on Investment? If anyone knows where a band can get a
better one, please pass it on to me.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone