[Dixielandjazz] Maria Muldaur songs for OKOM

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Fri Mar 12 14:02:18 PST 2004

"Don't you Make Me High" was recorded by Merline Johnson on 4 October 1938.

"Alabama Bound" was claimed to have been written by Jelly Roll in 1907.
It was copyrighted by Robert Hoffman in 1909 and with lyrics in 1910. The
lyrics are different to the ones Morton used.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia

> Don’t you feel my leg, don’t you feel my leg
> cause when you feel my leg your going to feel my thigh
> and if you feel my thigh your going to tell a lie
> so don’t you feel my leg

etc.
(Blue Lu Barker and Danny Barker are credited with the lyrics and song)

the other song is known as "Alabama Bound:"

> I’m Alabama bound (I’m Alabama bound)
> I’m Alabama bound (I’m Alabama bound)
> And if the train don’t stop and turn around
> I’m Alabama bound (I’m Alabama bound)

(and whoever first wrote that is not quite evident  - maybe  Charlie
"Catfish" Patton?)