[Dixielandjazz] Side Man pay & Websites

Kimberly Shaffer kimberly_shaffer at pgn.com
Thu Mar 11 14:09:38 PST 2004

Heh - actually, this list has made the rounds before... One time on a
gig, one of the guys brought in a photocopy of a  handwritten list
that's supposed to be an authentic sheet from Paul Whiteman's books.  I
think it's sad that sidemen are making less money now for playing jazz,
but then I think even back in those days not everyone was earning as
much as Whiteman's band, who were the top money-earners in the
pre-integration, "white" jazz music world.  Bands who had TV and radio
contracts, such as Whiteman, and later Dorsey, Goodman, Shaw, etc, were
paid like the rock stars of today.  Compare these guys' wages to the
scale of the Britneys and the Boy Bands in today's world, adjusted for
inflation, and it makes sense.  The only difference is that back then
there were a lot more real musicians on the payrolls instead of synth
programmers, dance choreographers, costume designers, etc - the
commercial music industry is a lot different now than it was back then
as far as who gets paid to do what; but the wages of the people who get
paid to put on a mass-market, commercially-oriented show to entertain
the masses are a lot more, even after adjusting for inflation.

Our problem, as musicians, is that we hold ourselves to a higher
standard of artistry than the "show" people do, and as such have a
difficult time watching the music industry make a mockery of the
countless years we've spent actually learning how to play our
instruments as they throw someone up there with not an ounce of actual
musical talent to writhe around on stage and flip their hair and sell a
zillion records while we languish in relative obscurity.

Oh wait -- this too was true in Paul Whiteman's time.  The "real"
musicians of the day never took him seriously for appointing himself
the King of Jazz.  They all knew that Fletcher Henderson was really the
one who deserved the title... but Fletcher was <gasp> BLACK, which the
record executives knew would never sell to white audiences -- so they
'invested' in Paul Whiteman, whose own musicians didn't even really
take him seriously... but he paid well and had some really good
soloists in his band as a result.  But he was pretty much a construct
of the record industry, just like the "superstars" of today are.  Heh-
he was like the Kenny G of his day.  <grin>

There's a story about how Eddie Lang and some other band members burned
down Whiteman's house and blamed it on Bing Crosby.  Bing (being young
and not-yet-a-superstar) took the rap and was convicted of arson even
though he knew the other guys were the ones who really did it.  Instead
of serving prison time, he spent a year or so under "house arrest" with
a policeman handcuffed to his wrist at all times, even while he
performed on stage.  He and the cop got to be such good friends that
they stayed in touch for the rest of Bing's life.