[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 15, Issue 16

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 17:29:05 PST 2004

> "Ken Gates" <keng at iswest.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> I certainly echo that listening to folks like Davern, Vache, Hedges,
> and other top of the line current clarinet artists can only to helpful to
> any aspiring musician.

Yes, as Conrad Janis said in the Jim Uhl article in the Mississippi Rag, Wilbur DeParis
listened to his band and then took that style in Jimmy Ryan's when Janis was released
because he asked for a raise.

The style came full circle. Ory to Janis, and then Janis to DeParis, who was "listening
hard" to the Janis Band for inspiration, not Ory. Interesting take. Why would DeParis do
that? Because ir was the Janis Band that was immensely popular in New York City at that
time and so DeParis went with a "proven" style.

Main thing is to blend into the band with whom you are playing. EG, the best "New Orleans
Revival" clarinetist in the world would have a hard time fitting in with a "Condon" Band
and vice versa. Any of us who are sidemen in different style OKOM bands most likely
realize that we must adapt to the Band as best we can.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone