[Dixielandjazz] Private labels [was Alan Vache & Others]

Bigbuttbnd at aol.com Bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 13:25:03 PST 2004

<< You can copy CDs with a computer, but it's a lot faster to get a two- or
more-tray duplicator. If you want to sell to people besides your current
fans, you need to make the CDs look as professional as possible. There are
CD printer units available. You do have to design CD labels, whether
printed on paper stuck on the CDs or directly on the CDs. >>

Fellow listmates:

I have been working for several years to perfect the "on demand" printing of
CD labels at home for commercial sale. I have plans to release some older
recordings to gift shops, tourist haunts and internet sales and, as Mr.
Littlefield pointed out, they have to look good and as if they were printed
professionally. Since I am a graphic artist at least half of the time, I have developed
some expertise in this area. I have several clients who have self-produced CDs
that I have designed jackets (inserts) and labels for.. and designed them in
such a way that the musician can print them from home in lots of 2 (2-up) in
order to assemble small mail orders. I (and now my clients) print these on a
small, inexpensive Epson (or Canon, or HP or whatever home) printer ($65.00 range)
on glossy paper and cut them on an ordinary paper cutter to fit perfectly in
standard jewel boxes and they can't be discerned from the real commerial
quality printing on any CD you might purchase in a store... even on close
inspection.

If there is enough interest I will be happy to share some of these tips with
you. Of course, my services are available for those who might not want to go
the 'do it yourself' route but I think you'll find that this is not that hard
to do. See examples at the below links:

http://www.mindspring.com/~superbanjo/marysue/index.html

http://members.aol.com/donerdman/pages/cd.html  (scroll down to the Hotlanta
Trio "Keeping Out Of Mischief Now"... the only one there I did.)

Drop me a line and if there's enough interest I'll post a detailed
instruction and tip sheet to the list.

Rocky Ball, banjo
Atlanta