[Dixielandjazz] When does the Fat Lady Sing?

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 13:13:06 PST 2004

It may not be OKOM, but consider this article from the March 9, 2004 -
New York Times. It has some relevence regarding sight and sound of all
music.

As Yogi Berra (American Baseball Player and Yankee Manager), once said
"It ain't over till the fat lady sings." Now, how will we know when it's
over? ;-) VBG

The Opera is being presented in "modern dress" rather than the original
toga like outfits. The article is snipped for brevity. Write me off line
for the full copy, if interested.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Soprano Says Her Weight Cost Her Role in London By ROBIN POGREBIN

      The renowned soprano Deborah Voigt has been dropped from a
production featuring her signature role at the Royal Opera House at
Covent Garden in London because, she says, she was deemed too big for a
little black dress.

Ms. Voigt, 43, was to appear in a production of Strauss's "Ariadne auf
Naxos" at the Royal Opera House in June. She has been replaced by a
slimmer singer, the German soprano Anne Schwanewilms, the Royal Opera
said.

(snip)