[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet Licks and Allan Vache

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Mon Mar 8 19:55:56 PST 2004

Harold Smith <s3856lpa at webtv.net>
[excerpt] "... Allan, you need not have any doubts that you are of the
giants in contemporary clarinet playing.  Your magnificent articulation
your command of the instrument, your verve and spontanaity of ideas
has made you thus.  In addition, your ability to use the altissimo as
part of your musical language is astounding...But above all, my boy, you
SWING, and in that regard, you stand a few heads and shoulders
above many of your colleagues..."

Yes, Harold, the boy can indeed swing.

Allan was smokin' at the San Diego Jazz Party this past weekend. I brought
along my nephew to see Allan and the many other fine musicians who gathered
there for some amazing jam sessions. My nephew, Dan, is 17 and plays alto
sax in his high school jazz band. After one of Allan's solos in which he was
tearing it up in the altissimo range, I turned to Dan and asked, "How often
do you get to hear those notes coming from a clarinet?" He looked rather
dazed and said, "Never!" Until he'd seen Allan, my nephew didn't much care
for the clarinet; but now that he sees what can be done with it (in capable
hands), he's learned to appreciate and respect the instrument (and Allan).
It was a pleasure to have my sister and my nephew with me at the jazz party.
(They live 10 minutes from the jazz party location, so it was easy to bring
them). Dan learned there was jazz before 1950. We have two new OKOM fans.

Love and hugs to all,
Nancy, who needs to catch up on sleep after having too much fun.

P.S. I think John Cocuzzi deserves more notice and recognition (vibes/piano)